Prior to installing your baby's infant-only seat, read the product manual thoroughly. These tips can help with the installation:
- An infant-only seat should be placed in the back seat, ideally in the middle of the back seat, but most important, in a position where it fits securely.
- Read the owner's manual for your vehicle to find out how to use its seatbelts with a child safety seat.
- Use your knee to push down on the seat as you tighten the car's seatbelt through the belt path. The car seat should not move more than 1 inch (3 centimeters) from side to side or forward and backward at the belt path. If the seat wiggles or moves on the belt path, the belt needs to be tighter.
- Some seatbelts may require a special locking clip designed specifically to keep the belt from loosening. Locking clips are available from baby product stores, safety seat manufacturers, and some car dealerships.
- Be sure to check the tightness of the safety seat before each use.
- Never use an infant-only seat in a forward-facing position.
- The car seat should recline at no more than a 45-degree angle.